Sporturf Tech Tip #3 Mold and Fungus With Turf
Fungus, Mold Spots or Moss
The following instructions are provided to assist you if you ever need help with the removal of fungus, mold spots or moss from your turf. Like many other products that are outdoors and come into contact with the elements, your turf may at some point develop bacterial growth. If that does happen the following tips will help eliminate the issue.
- Use TurfStat™ PRO, a synthetic turf disinfectant is proven to kill germs on non-porous surfaces such as plastic (polystyrene, polypropylene), vinyl, fiberglass, non-porous rubber and washable synthetic fibers, at a rate of 1 part concentrate to 11 parts water and spray the area fully.
- Do NOT use high pressure water spray with stream force in excess of 2500 PSI as this can severely damage the turf.
- TurfStat™ PRO is an EPA registered disinfectant, MR. Clean and Vital Oxide Perform as needed but has not been EPA approved.
- Simple Green is another product that can be used as long as it is the bleach free formula.
As always with all of our tech tips if you need more clarification or additional assistance please contact your Regional Account Manager before working on your next project.
Below are some tips on daily turf usage:
1. Footwear should be restricted to ½” molded cleats
2. Stance areas for baseball/softball, Lacrosse and soccer goal mouths face abnormal
wear patterns and must be monitored daily.(See section II)
3. Band Practices may cause abnormal wear and the field must be monitored for rubber
loss in high trac areas.
4. Pets or animals should not be allowed on artificial turf areas.
5. Non authorized vehicles should not be allowed on turf. Light machinery such as
Gators, tractors and golf carts are permissible with turf tires only.
6. No food, chewing gum, sunflower seeds and/or tobacco products on playing surface.
7. Daily cleaning of surface should be hand-picked. Vacuums with dual motors and leaf
8. Turf grooming and cleaning must be done by trained sta and authorized equipment
9. Steps must be taken to prevent dirt/debris from collecting onto surface from nearby
trees and parking lot trash.