According to the Synthetic Turf Council, in the United States alone, there are over 5,500 synthetic turf fields in current use. Millions of students across the country have the opportunity to practice and play on a sports field that is functional rain or shine.
Synthetic Turf Pros
- Lower maintenance costs. While we can’t say the initial cost will be cheaper, it will be in the hundreds of thousands, the upkeep is much less costly. Your typical natural turf sports field can use up to a million gallons water each year, with synthetic turf water is not needed. Add to it, that synthetic turf needs no mowing or trimming nor traditional grooming.
- Chemical/pesticide-free. Dissimilar to natural grass, synthetic turf does not require pesticide treatment nor fertilizers.
- Extended play. Synthetic turf fields are so much more durable than natural grass fields. Natural grass is more susceptible to weather, animals, wear and tear from players and a multitude of other components. With a synthetic field, you don’t have to worry about a flooding field or muddy play space.
- ADA compliant. Many fields are required to be ADA compliant. With turf this is easier to accomplish that it could be with natural turf.
- Logo Customization. Synthetic turf allows for logo customization that is durable and more vibrant than a painted field. The logos can’t be worn away.
Synthetic Turf Cons
- It can and will be a costly investment and for some that may be a mitigating factor.
- Temperature and heat. Synthetic turf can and will heat up in the sun but as technology continues improving the heat can be managed with infill and light water spray if needed.
Recently Sporturf™ dealer Worldwide Turf Canada installed their very first project in Manitoba. Steve Halbert and his team installed the project at the Gateway Recreation Centre in Winnipeg, MB. The center consists of two year-round indoor skating rinks, two outdoor hockey rinks, one indoor soccer pitch, four mini soccer fields, three regulation soccer fields, seven ball diamonds, and two outdoor asphalt hockey pens. The Gateway Centre is a true one-stop-shop for the ultimate sports fanatic.
When they decided to update their facility with synthetic turf, they knew that the only company for the job was Sporturf and Worldwide Turf Canada.
Gateway chose Sporturf™ FastGrass AT740 and installed 14,400 square feet of the padded/non-infill turf.
AT740 has all the advantages of previous turf generations and performs even higher in wear and resistance tests. The blend of nylon and polyethylene is an almost perfect 50/50 combination. This gives you the true ball roll of a traditional field, with the softness of the new generation rubber-filled turf. The fact that there is no rubber infill makes maintenance easier and cleaner. These systems can also be portable with added Velcro seams.
About Worldwide Turf Canada
Worldwide Turf Canada is a Canadian privately owned company, providing customers with complete end to-end service for all their synthetic turf needs. Key values of Worldwide Turf Canada are Quality, Service, and Expertise. These values enable us to deliver best in class quality products at very competitive prices, expertise to build and install, and the highest level of service to ensure ongoing maintenance and customer satisfaction. Worldwide Turf Canada is a member of the Synthetic Turf Council. Leveraging the expertise of our team WorldWide Turf Inc. collectively brings over 30 years of experience in the design, build and installation of athletic artificial sports fields across North America. To ensure delivery of your project on time, our resources include a complete construction crew in Canada, and a complete installation crew employed by WorldWide Turf Inc.
For more information, visit http://www.worldwideturfcanada.ca or call
705-792-9937; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sporturf™ partnered with Haney Wood University to create a Continuing Education Unit in order to educate the design community about synthetic sports turf.
Hanley Wood University leads the market in providing online learning for design and construction professionals. The company provides FREE Continuing Education courses for Architects, Builders, Designers, and more. Each course is created by leading industry content specialists, and are accredited by AIA, ASPE, GBCI, IDCEC, NAHB, NARI and NKBA.
Sporturf’s course information is below and can be found on the Hanley Wood website: http://www.hanleywooduniversity.com/course/5154
The goal of this learning unit is to provide architects, landscape architects and designers, contractors, building owners and property managers with the knowledge required to successfully select and specify for the use of artificial turf for use in sporting applications for any design project. It will provide an overview of today’s most sophisticated synthetic turf technologies and products, and case studies.
- Describe the evolution and benefits of synthetic turf and how systems work.
- Identify the specifications of turf for outdoor sports.
- Identify the specifications of turf for indoor applications.
- Discuss how turf is tested and rated for strength and durability. Discuss case studies of synthetic turf in indoor and outdoor sports applications.