Why Should You Choose Synthetic Turf for Your Football Field
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness in August 2020.
According to the Synthetic Turf Council, in the United States alone, there are over 5,500 synthetic turf fields in current use. Millions of students across the country have the opportunity to practice and play on a sports field that is functional rain or shine. Football turf is popping up all over the country.
- Lower maintenance costs. While we can’t say the initial cost will be cheaper, it will be in the hundreds of thousands, the upkeep is much less costly. Your typical natural turf sports field can use up to a million gallons water each year, with synthetic turf water is not needed. Add to it, that synthetic turf needs no mowing or trimming nor traditional grooming.
- Chemical/pesticide-free. Dissimilar to natural grass, synthetic turf does not require pesticide treatment nor fertilizers.
- Extended play. Synthetic turf fields are so much more durable than natural grass fields. Natural grass is more susceptible to weather, animals, wear and tear from players and a multitude of other components. With a synthetic field, you don’t have to worry about a flooding field or muddy play space.
- ADA compliant. Many fields are required to be ADA compliant. This is easier to accomplish with synthetic turf than natural turf.
- Logo Customization. Synthetic turf allows for logo customization that is durable and more vibrant than a painted field. The logos can’t be worn away.
Synthetic Football Turf Cons
- It can and will be a costly investment and for some that may be a mitigating factor.
- Temperature and heat. Synthetic turf can and will heat up in the sun but as technology continues improving the heat can be managed with infill and light water spray if needed.
As always if you have any questions or concerns before your next turf field project please reach out to Sporturf and we can help you out!
In the meantime, check out some of our turf football field projects in our highlight reel: